Lexington Exchange Visitor Visa Lawyer

Get Help Acquiring a J1 Visa

The United States offers foreign nationals many opportunities to get education and experiences they would not be able to get in their home countries.  The J1 visa program is one way to take advantage of these opportunities.

This program allows people who wish to experience life in the U.S. to expand their skills by taking part in work- and study-based exchange and visitor programs. To participate in these programs, you must be sponsored by an educational or other nonprofit institution that is accredited through the Exchange Visitor Program designated by the U.S. State Department. Under the program, you can come to the United States to teach, study, receive training, or demonstrate special skills. This experience and training must be directly related to your education and academic program at home and must be something that you would not be able to get or do in your home country.

If you would like to participate in the J1 visa program, be aware that each program has specific requirements and regulations you must adhere to. Also, the process of obtaining any type of visa can be a complicated and daunting process, and mistakes can cause your application to be delayed or denied.

Fortunately, you do not have to go through this process alone. There is help and guidance available from a Lexington, KY, J1 visa lawyer at Carman Fullerton. Our attorneys can examine your specific situation, explain the different types of visas, and help determine which is right for you. We can guide you through all steps of the visa application process and make sure everything is done properly to help ensure that your application will be successful and you will be accepted into the program you desire.

Why Choose Our Exchange Visitor Visa Attorney?

When seeking legal guidance for a J1 visa, it is important to find a lawyer who has the skills needed to make sure you meet necessary qualifications, expedite the process, and deal with problems and delays that may arise. Here are some reasons why we think Carman Fullerton is your best choice:

  • We are experienced and know immigration law and the ins and outs of the legal system. Attorney Kirby J. Fullerton and Attorney Dan Carman have many years of experience representing clients involved in immigration cases of all types and have worked with clients who have entered the United States both legally and illegally.
  • We are bilingual.  Our staff and attorneys speak Spanish and accommodate speakers of other languages as well.
  • We are compassionate and do everything possible to make you feel safe, listened to and understood, even in difficult situations. Attorney Kirby Fullerton’s practice is focused on immigration law, and he represents clients in cases before the immigration courts and the Board of Immigration Appeals.
  • We are recognized in our field. Dan Carman is a member of various local and national Bar Associations and has previously been named in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers and Top 40 Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers.
  • We are local. With an office in Lexington, KY, our attorneys are well-positioned to provide engaged, personalized legal service for our communities.
  • We are available 24/7 for client emergencies.

When you have our J1 visa lawyers on your side, you will benefit from our knowledge, fluency in English, and legal education.


How Our J1 Visa Attorney Works for You

We know how important it is for you to get the best education and experience possible, so every person who works at Carman Fullerton— lawyers and support staff — shares our commitment to our clients. When you have our team on your side, we will:

  • Evaluate your individual work and study situation to find out what your goals and needs are, what options are available to you, and the best way to handle your application.
  • Determine which type of J1 visa to apply for. Depending on your situation, some of the programs you may apply for include:
    • Au Pair and EduCare  – allows for childcare providers ages 18 to 26 to work caring for a family’s children in exchange for room, board, and a stipend.
    • Camp Counselorsallows a foreign post-secondary student, youth worker, teacher, or individual with specialized skills to work as a camp counselor, get housing and meals, and receive pay and benefits.
    • Government Visitordistinguished international visitors can visit the U.S. to develop and strengthen professional and personal relationships with their American counterparts.
    • Intern – allows participation in American intern programs in your field
    • International Visitorsfor people-to-people programs to develop professional and personal relationships between key foreign nationals and Americans.
    • Physicianallows foreign physicians to participate in U.S. graduate medical education programs or training at U.S. medical schools.
    • Professor and Research Scholarallows participants to engage in research, teaching, and lecturing at American schools.
    • Short-Term Scholarallows professors, research scholars, or people with similar accomplishments to lecture, observe, consult, train, or demonstrate special skills at U.S. institutions for a maximum of six months.
    • College/University Studentmust pursue a full-time course of study and maintain good academic standing or participate in a student internship program.
    • Secondary School Studentcan study at a public or private high school while staying with a host family or at a boarding school.
    • Specialists – allows experts with specialized knowledge or skills to travel to the U.S. to exchange knowledge and skills with Americans.
    • Summer Work Travel – allows post-secondary students to travel to the U.S. to work and travel over the summer for a maximum of four months.
    • Teacherforeign teachers can come to the U.S. to teach in primary and secondary schools for up to three years.
    • Traineeforeign professionals can receive training in U.S. business practices in their chosen occupational field.
  • Help you fill out and review your application forms and collect proper documentation to ensure that you meet legal qualifications and that forms are filed correctly and in a timely manner.
  • Monitor the entire process and communicate with all relevant parties as necessary.
  • Appeal the decision if your visa application is denied, and provide legal assistance if you encounter any issues with your visa during the time you are in the U.S.
  • Help you attain more permanent status if you want to return to or stay in the U.S. after your program is completed.

J1 Visa lawyer in Kentucky Explains the Process

J1 visas are authorized by the U.S. State Department to allow individuals to participate in an approved program for purposes that include teaching, lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training. The program must be sponsored by designated public and private entities.

To apply for a J1 visa, you must be accepted into a qualified program and then obtain form DS-2019 from your sponsoring agency. This form certifies your eligibility and is the basic document used in the administration of the exchange visitor program. It provides a brief description of the exchange visitor’s program, including the start and end date, category of exchange, and an estimate of the cost of the program. The information in this form must be completed by the sponsor, and then you can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for the J1 visa. The Consular Officers viewing visa applications will decide whether you receive the visa.

Once you receive a J1 visa, you are allowed to participate in your program and to remain in the U.S. for the duration of the program. Afterwards, you may often be required to go back to your home country for 2 years to utilize the experience and skills you acquired if you want to then acquire an H or L visa or permanent residence in the United States.

In some cases, our attorneys may be able to help you get a J waiver to avoid the 2-year home residency requirement. Depending on the specific program in which you are enrolled, we may also be able to help spouses and children obtain a J-2 visa, which allows them to apply for employment authorization documents using form I-765.

Generally, J-1 visa holders are required to work only for their program sponsors, but they sometimes may work for non-sponsor employers if they meet certain eligibility requirements based on their program.

Get Help from Our J1 Visa Attorney

Getting a J1 visa is complicated and it’s easy to make mistakes and have your application delayed or denied, but help is available from the experienced immigration attorneys at Carman Fullerton in Lexington, Kentucky. We provide skilled legal representation to handle all issues that can come up during the application process, as well as issues that arise if you decide you would like to remain in the United States.

Your education and your future are too important to risk. Call us today for an initial consultation to see how we can help.

Get Started Now Call 859-971-0060