Lexington Student Visa Lawyer

If you are a resident of another country, you may be able to study, attend classes, and acquire quality education in the United States by obtaining a student visa. There are several types of student visas, which are available for every level of school, from elementary to postgraduate study, and for vocational or other recognized nonacademic institutions as well. A student visa allows you to complete your education legally without having any issues with immigration laws. However, the process of obtaining a student visa can be a complicated and daunting process, and mistakes can be costly and cause your application to be delayed or denied.

Fortunately, you do not have to go through this process alone. There is help and guidance available from a Lexington, KY, student visa lawyer at Carman Fullerton. Our attorneys can explain the different types of student visas and help determine which is right for you, and then guide you through all steps of the visa application process to help ensure that your application will be successful and you can get the education you need.

Why Choose Our Student Visa Lawyer?

When seeking legal assistance, it is important for you to find a lawyer that you not only feel comfortable with, but who has the experience need to expedite your student visa and deal with problems and delays that arise, as well as any other immigration needs. Here are some reasons we think Carman Fullerton is your best choice:

  • We are experienced and know immigration law and the ins and outs of the legal system. Attorney Kirby J. Fullerton and Attorney Dan Carman have many years of experience representing clients involved in immigration cases of all types, and have worked with clients who have entered the United States both legally and illegally.
  • We are bilingual.  Our staff and attorneys speak Spanish and accommodate speakers of other languages as well.
  • We are compassionate. We understand what you are going through and do everything possible to make you feel safe, listened to and understood, even in difficult situations. Attorney Kirby Fullerton’s practice is focused on immigration law, and he represents clients in cases before the immigration courts and the Board of Immigration Appeals.
  • We are recognized in our field. Dan Carman is a member of various local and national Bar Associations and has previously been named in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers and Top 40 Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers.
  • We are local. With an office in Lexington, KY, our attorneys are well-positioned to provide engaged, personalized legal service for our communities.
  • We are available 24/7 for client emergencies.

When you have our student visa lawyers on your side, you will benefit from our knowledge, fluency in English, and legal education.  Call us at any time, seven days a week.


How Our Student Visa Attorney Works for You

We know how important it is for you to get the best education possible, so every person who works at Carman Fullerton— lawyers and support staff — shares our commitment to our clients. When you have our team on your side, we will:

  • Meet with you to discuss your student visa situation and find out what your goals and needs are so we can determine the best way to handle your application.
  • Determine which type of student visa to apply for. In addition to foreign residents wishing to study in the U.S., you may be able to switch to an F visa if you are currently in the U.S. as a temporary worker, diplomat, exchange visitor or any other nonimmigrant classification.
  • Help you fill out and review your application forms to ensure that everything is done properly and that they are filed correctly and in a timely manner.
  • Appeal the decision if your visa application is denied, and provide legal assistance if you encounter any issues with your visa during your studies.

F1 Visa Lawyer in Kentucky Explains Types of Student Visas

The Unites States government requires that anyone who wants to study in the United States must have a student visa. There are several types of visas, and your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determines which you need.

F Visas

The most common type of visa is the F visa, for those who want to pursue academic study and attend a university or college, a high school, a private elementary school, a seminary, a conservatory, or another academic institution, including a language training program. F visas are for students wishing to come to the U.S. on a temporary basis to study full time and who intend to leave the U.S. once their course of study is completed.

Once you have an F-1 visa, you can study and stay in the U.S. until your course of study is completed, assuming you do not take a break from your studies for more than five months. You may work in a part-time job through school while you are studying, and after completing your studies successfully, you may apply for H-1B work visas.

M Visa

Similar to the F visa is the M visa, which is for students enrolling to study at a vocational and technical school or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program. M visa holders are allowed to transfer between approved non-academic educational institutions under certain conditions and may stay in the United States for six months after finishing their studies to enroll in a job-related training program. M visa holders and their immediate family members cannot work while in the United States, and M visa holders are not eligible to apply for an H-1B work visa after graduation. To stay in the United States, M visa holders must first return to their home country and reapply for entry to the United States.

Eligibility for Student Visas

To be eligible for the F or M visa, you must meet certain requirements. You must:

  1. Certify that your primary residence is in your home country.
  2. Show intention of returning there after your visa’s expiration.
  3. Provide proof of ability to support yourself and cover your living expenses while in the U.S.
  4. Demonstrate that you can speak and write English.

To apply for your visa, you must:

  • Apply and get accepted into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school and pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) I-901 fee.
  • Get a Form I-20 from your school and register in SEVIS, then apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the F or M visa.  You must present the Form I-20 to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.
  • Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160 including uploading a photo.
  • Pay your application fee and get a receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • Schedule an interview with the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country as soon as possible.
  • Gather required documents, including your passport, I-20 form, SEVIS fee receipt, DS-160 confirmation page, and any other documents required by the embassy or consulate.
  • Attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate and answer questions about your background, education, and plans in the U.S.
  • Wait for visa processing. After the interview, you need to wait for your visa to be processed, and times can vary depending on the embassy or consulate.

What to do After Receiving a Visa

Once you receive your visa, you can travel to the U.S. to start your studies. Be aware that your visa only allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port of entry, where the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port of entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States.

Students on F or M visas may not enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start date of their program.  If you wish to enter earlier, you must separately apply and qualify for a visitor (B) visa and then separately apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of status to student F or M status prior to the start of your program.

If you successfully complete your studies, foreign students with F visas must depart the United States within 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20, including any authorized practical training. However, you may request an extension through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Get Help from Our F1 Visa Attorney

Getting a student visa is complicated and it’s easy to make mistakes, so get help from the experienced immigration attorneys at Carman Fullerton in Lexington, Kentucky. We provide skilled legal representation to handle all issues you need to obtain an F or M visa and keep it viable.

Your future is too important to risk. Call us today for an initial consultation to see how we can help.

Get Started Now Call 859-971-0060