Our Practice Areas

Translate this page:

Immigration Law

Immigration Law

If you find yourself, either alone or with your loved ones, in need of immigration assistance, take action now to protect yourself and your family by talking with lawyers who understand your situation.

Contact the asylum application attorneys at Carman Fullerton, PLLC to learn more about eligibility requirements and file an application for asylum.

Cuban immigrants living in the United States as lawful permanent residents or U.S. citizens can petition for relatives in Cuba to immigrate to the United States as lawful permanent residents. Generally, that means that the relative in Cuba must wait in Cuba until their immigrant visa becomes available.

Our practice is uniquely positioned to help citizens and noncitizens, with or without status, with their family law needs, including Kentucky divorce and child custody matters.

If someone present in the United States is a non-citizen, and they are arrested for or convicted of certain crimes or violation of the immigration laws, that person faces the possibility of being arrested and detained by Immigrations Customs Enforcement (ICE) for possible removal (i.e., deportation) from the United States.

If ICE prosecuted every non-citizen put into removal proceedings, the already overloaded immigration court would grind to a halt and ICE would have fewer resources to prosecute high-priority cases. To avoid this, ICE may decide to not prosecute low-priority cases through prosecutorial discretion. If you have been served with a notice to appear, you need to talk with Kentucky immigration lawyers Carman Fullerton, PLLC about the possibility of prosecutorial discretion in your case.

Are you under duress from the looming threat of removal? Do you fear that your admission into the United States may be denied? You may qualify for relief from removal in the form of a “cancellation of removal” if you meet certain criteria. You should talk to a dedicated immigration firm like Carman Fullerton, PLLC, who can help determine your eligibility.

Were you admitted to the U.S. on a work visa; do you hold a “green card” with legal permanent resident status; were you granted asylum or refugee status; or are you attempting to be legally admitted to the United States? The U.S. government has the right to remove you from this country or deny your admission if you have been convicted of certain crimes or have violated the immigration laws. If you or a loved one is facing the possibility of removal through deportation or denial of admission, you need the services of an immigration law firm.

Juveniles who are declared dependent by a juvenile court or are put into the custody of state agencies or court-appointed entities because they cannot be returned to one or both of their parents, and who cannot be returned to their home country or “last habitual residence” because it is not in their best interest, may qualify for SIJ status.

Persons who are in the United States without legal status are often the victims of human trafficking. They are lured to this country with promises of steady jobs and big paychecks, and are sometimes convinced their family members will be brought here and cared for as well—or perhaps told their family members will be harmed if the victim attempts to escape or alert authorities. Dedicated Lexington, KY immigration lawyers like those at Carman Fullerton, PLLC can discuss whether you are eligible for a T visa and help prepare and file the petition with the U.S. government.

Are you living and working in the United States as a non-citizen, and were you or your qualifying family members the victim of a crime? If so, you may be able to obtain a type of visa, called a U nonimmigrant visa (U visa), that will allow you and your qualifying family members to remain in the United States while you work cooperatively with law enforcement and government officials to investigate or prosecute the criminal activity.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) offers protection to noncitizens that are the victims of abuse by their U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouses. If you are a noncitizen who is married to or divorced (within the last two years) from an abusive U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse, you can apply for LPR status.

Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre un asunto de inmigración o si necesita representación legal para ayudarlo a usted o a un miembro de su familia con un problema de inmigración y vive en Fayette County, Kentucky o en los alrededores, llame a Carman & Fullerton.

Criminal Defense

Criminal Defense

If you are convicted of a crime, it will impact the lives of you and your family members now and for years to come. Your liberty and ability to support yourself and your family are at risk. A criminal record can harm many aspects of your life, including your educational and career aspirations, your family relationships and your immigration status.

Though it’s not unusual for drinking and driving to occur, that doesn’t mean an arrest for driving under the influence (DUI) Should be taken lightly.

Family Law

Family Law

It involves the breakup of marriages, how children are cared for and by whom, domestic violence and who is entitled to what assets and income after a relationship ends. Because family law can have such a lasting and powerful effect on children and adults, we take this area of practice very seriously.

Though it’s only natural to mourn the end of a marriage, a divorce is an opportunity to start a new chapter in your life. It’s a new direction than can benefit both you and your children. It’s our job to help you plan that future, help you prepare for it, and lay the legal and financial foundation for your new life.

Personal Injury

Personal Injury

If you have been injured in Fayette County, Kentucky, or the surrounding area because of the fault of another party, you may have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit, depending on the circumstances and facts of your case. This is a wide-ranging area of law where those who are injured seek compensation for the harm done to them.  If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in an accident caused by another party, we may be able to help.

Vehicle accidents are a fact of life. No matter how law-abiding and careful you may be, chances are that you may have two or three accidents during your lifetime.

If you or a family member has been injured at work because of a toxic substance, defective product or due to the negligence or intentional act of a third party (such as a client, customer or contractor) you may have legal rights beyond workers compensation that could result in additional damages.

Si usted ha sido lesionado en el Condado de Fayette, Kentucky, o el área circundante debido a la culpa de otra parte, usted puede tener motivos para presentar una demanda de lesiones personales, dependiendo de las circunstancias y hechos de su caso.

Con suerte, no serán serios y nadie saldrá lastimado, pero esa es una posibilidad real. Si sufrió una lesión o un miembro de su familia murió en un accidente automovilístico en Lexington, Kentucky o en los alrededores, necesita conocer sus derechos legales y cómo protegerlos.

Worker's Compensation

Worker's Compensation

Unlike personal injury claims, finding fault for occupational injury is normally not an issue. The workers compensation system is meant to provide benefits faster and easier than going through the court system. Don’t just accept claims by your employer or its insurance company that you don’t qualify for benefits. If you live in Fayette County, Kentucky, and the surrounding area, find out for yourself by contacting our office.